Sunday, March 20, 2011

Heralding the Birth of the Second-Born Blogchild

I’m having another blog. That is, the idea came over me this morning as I sat drinking a very milky cup of instant Starbucks and staring glassy-eyed out the double doors in my dorm suite. I had been staring at the hill on the other side of Alumni Field for some time, basking in my general fondness of it and thinking about how it looked like a volcano. And then I realized that I was going to start another blog.

So here I am, pregnant with an unexpected brainchild. I’m thinking it could have come at a better time, but confound it all, what’s that Jewish saying? L’Chaim—to life! Let’s have it then. I’m sure it is due in part to the eschewing of a certain cranial contraceptive—Facebook. My casual statuses satisfied that momentary creative urge but never got a chance to develop into even a paragraph. Even a week of refraining from posting statuses has proved sufficient time to get the creative cells aligning in my fertile brain.

And now?

Now I’m pacing the floor while devouring the remnants of a pint of Blue Bell Happy Tracks. I feel a distinct urge to paint something saffron yellow, for no particular reason. The birds were singing this evening with as much confusion and vigor as I feel at the thought of producing something from my soul again, though it be small and though it come into a world of quickened pace.

My erstwhile blogchild has grown up, distanced itself from me, and retired. I had considerable feelings of angst for it last fall when I came to school, but times have changed, and my writing must change too. This coming blogchild, like my youngest brother, will certainly have a more relaxed upbringing than my colicky firstborn.

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I can't wait to see what happens next! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah! Glad to know we'll get to read more of your excellent writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good. How are we going to christen the new arrival?

    Anonju

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it's about time! And I promise I will answer your letter. It's just that it was really hard to write with my finger all bandaged up . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! May the new baby be blessed! Mom

    ReplyDelete