Friday, April 29, 2011

Umbrellas

There was a day a couple of weeks back when I was completely taken with raindrops. So with rain on the brain, I sat down to doodle and soon two umbrellas, three people, and a whole lot of raindrops appeared.

When I was done I was left with several questions, which you may also be asking.

1. Who the heck are these people?

2. Why are they sitting on the curb during a rainstorm?

3. And how are raindrops supposed to look when they hit the ground? (Because obviously none of these have made it yet).

Good luck. If you figure out any of the answers, let me know. Later I realized that the picture is perhaps a fictionalized composite account of true events. I was duped into drawing it by my subconscious. Sneaky little blighter. And I must say that Umbrellas by Sleeping at Last (from their album Keep No Score) may have also had subconscious influence. I wasn't thinking of it at the time, but it is one of my favorite songs.

And with that, I bid you all adieu. May the sun soon shine on your umbrella.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting. Good word umbrella. Um..um. Makes one want to hum.
    (Cannot answer your questions, but a quick check on Wikipedia confirmed the root of "umbrella" as follows:
    The word umbrella comes from the Latin word umbra, meaning shade or shadow (the Latin word, in turn, derives from the Ancient Greek ómbros [όμβρος])

    ReplyDelete