Wednesday, June 6, 2012

If the Song Fits

I renamed and restructured this blog last week because the layout really bothered me before.  There wasn't space for me to come and roost. It wasn't a place I could stay comfortably in cyberspace.  The orangey gold works well because I think it fits the feel of the song the blog is named for (Fiona Apple's cover of Across the Universe, by The Beatles).

My sister says I need to get a different profile picture.  She thinks the photo of me being goofy with Ethan (our small brother) is smarmy.  I know what she means, but I'm not too photogenic and all my other photos just look like I'm trying too hard.  This one is more genuine, even if it could be mistaken for the oh my gosh look how amazing I am with small children vibe. "Just please don't be one of those moms who always posts pictures of their kids for their profile on Facebook," she moans.  Well, haters gonna hate. 

As for the song, I chose it because not only is it beautiful, but the lyrics are fitting for both a writing process and the idea of traveling around a lot.  I can't decide whether the oft repeated chorus "Nothin's gonna change my world" signifies that I am a very inflexible person or that I am a very badass person who is unperturbed by life's obstacles.  I choose to believe the latter.

It's hard to believe that this time last year I was posting on this blog about this obscure study abroad program I'd found, wondering if it might work out.  Here I am on a nine week countdown, accepted to the program, all scholarshipped up and ready to go.

In August I will be traveling to Ukraine for two weeks to be reunited with the Crowe family and other good friends in Rzhishchiv, where I stayed for nearly a year in 2008-2009.  After two weeks I'll hop on over a couple mountain ranges to Kyrgyzstan for a long awaited study abroad, where I will be delving into Central Asian and Russian Language studies for a semester in the capital city, Bishkek.  I hope to roam the mountainous country, visiting ancient ruins and national parks and overcoming my fear of large animals (horseback riding).

So although I'll begin posting regularly this summer, the resurrection of the blog is mainly with the intent of chronicling the adventures to come, more or less across the universe...

No comments:

Post a Comment