Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Day in the Life

I knew that today, as the day before the big trip, would not be a good day for a sit-down blog.  So I wrote an itinerant sort of blog to catch the moments today because they are leaving me like water leaves a sieve.   

7:00am

Gentle jungle noises drift into my consciousness from the direction of the phone alarm on my nightstand and I hit snooze...twice.  I always hate the jungle at this time of day.

8:00am

Finds me in the kitchen coaxing the once-upon-a-garage-sale waffle iron to life because I've promised Ethan I would make him waffles.  Mom is frying bacon and Ethan himself is grating potatoes for hash browns.

9:00am

We are around the table, our family.  When we finish breakfast I tell Ethan I love him.  "I know you do," he says, because of all of this." He motions to the food spread over the table.  His eyes are big, his nine-year-old soul satisfied.  Good, now I can get a shower.

10:00am

I am not showering or packing.  I am on the phone with the bank and the airline. 

11:00

Showering has been postponed in favor of packing.  This is the moment I begin to have grave doubts that

This:





Will fit into 

This:



But there is no going back.  I consider a larger suitcase but my vertebrae collectively scream out a resounding "NO!" and I am persuaded. 

Noon:

I will not be taking hiking boots.  They weren't in the picture anyway because I could not find them.  I believe this is a sign from God.

1:00pm

Lunch with grandparents.  Grammie spreads and elegant feast of chicken salad and fruit.  Paw Paw hugs me hard as ever.  They are some of the hardest people to leave because time passes differently with them and I treasure every minute.

2:00pm

Finishing our coffee and cranberry bread.

3:00pm

I embark on a "quick" Target trip to obtain three (3) items I am lacking.  I need little presents for certain people. 

4:00pm

Still getting little presents.  A lot more than three little presents.  And I find the yellow jeggings I searched for all last semester.  I buy them too.  

5:00pm

I am getting gas at Green Top because I think I can say bye to my friend Sujan, whom I suddenly realize I have not really seen all summer.  He is not there but his sister is and she will give him the message. She smiles at me, shy. 

6:00pm

Back to packing. The suitcase is full.  Flotsam and jetsam litter the living room rug and I am industriously consolidating my toiletries.  Someone will not be getting oreos.  I'm sorry.  The oreos go to Dad, who will not complain, I'm sure.

7:00pm

Again we are eating together.  Mom has made a beautiful meal and Connor and Jessica are over.   

8:00pm

My suitcase is still not quite packed.  It appears to have vomited all over the living room.  The pile of items I am not including nearly exceeds the pile of things that fit.  But it's getting closer, and Mom, Mattie, and I make a quick trip with Jessica to see her newly decorated classroom.  On the way back, a storm hits and we reach home just before the hail, just before the clouds burst and the house blacks out.  It is beautiful and powerful and the I remember the fear I had as a little child of the colossal wave of pines above our house, a fear now replaced by awe.  Well, I wanted to see rain before I left. 

9:00pm and After

I finish packing by candle light.  Quiet fills the living room.  Everyone goes to bed except for Dad, and we both hope the night will bring sleep.  Then, with blinks and starts, the lights come on and the air conditioning returns.  Back to life.  I survey my packing job and think the zipper will hold. 

And I am here writing, drawing the day by its strings and hoping for rest before tomorrow.   




No comments:

Post a Comment