Friday, August 31, 2012

The Narodny Principle: A Case Study


We’re coming to the end of the first week in Kyrgyzstan, and I’d say a major part of this week has consisted of getting to know public transport in this neck of Bishkek.  So right here and now, I’m going to lay down an idea that has been forming in my mind about navigating new cities.  It might have a name already, but for my purposes I’m calling it the Narodny Principle.  I have a good reason for that, which I’ll explain shortly.  

When you begin the process of familiarizing yourself with a new place, you naturally want to find landmarks that you will remember.  The trouble comes when you pick a landmark that is familiar without realizing that it is simply familiar because there are multiples of the same thing and you see it all the time.  This is the essence of the Narodny Principle. Your brain, which is starving for something recognizable, latches onto that thing (a stop sign would be a little too obvious, but that’s sort of what I’m getting at) and feasts on it.  And then you take the wrong bus and stop at the wrong version of that thing and have to take a taxi home after dark in a strange city in the first three days you are there.  At least, that’s what happened to me. But I’m getting ahead of myself.  

I’m sure that the Narodny Principle does not apply to all of you because different people have different ways of memorizing directions. Ahem.  But I’m sure that some of you would own up to it if pressed for the truth.  It’s tricky.  I was thrilled when Mira Eje took me to this nice grocery store a street over from our flat, adorned with a big, clean red sign that said “Народны” on the front.  There were big posters outside with grocery sales, it was well lit, it was noticeable.  After she accompanied me to school and back once and I had made a solo run in the morning, I was feeling pretty good about the whole deal.  Hop on the marshrutka, grab the rail before it starts moving, pay, peek out the window, note your stop, ask to stop, get off, cross the street, etc. etc.  Not too bad.  

So I figured I could ride down to the mall on Tuesday evening, since that was the most familiar place besides the school, and camp out at a nice coffee shop there to use internet and stuff.  I did that.  It was great.  Mira Eje said the buses would go till 10:00pm.  So to make sure I got the bus, I packed up my stuff a little before 9:00 and crossed the street to where the buses usually come.  The two buses she told me were good to take were 110 and 210.  In the morning, they seemed to come at random every few minutes, lots of them.  So I waited, but nothing showed.  Waited some more.  Lots of buses were coming and I was craning my neck to see the numbers in the glare of lights, because by this time it was after dark.  It is a busy, well lit area with lots of people.  Night life, but of a wholesome kind.  But no 110 or 210 marshrutkas in sight.  Well.  I scanned my brain for the other numbers I had seen on that info sheet because I knew that there were more buses that went by my house.  And I was almost certain that 100 was one of them.  Almost.  

It had been fifteen or twenty mintues and I thought maybe the 110 and 210 were done for the night.  But there were so many 100s.  Yes, that was it.  There was a moment of decision and I got on the bus, handing the driver my 10 som and clinging for dear life as the bus lurched on down Sovietskaya street.  The trouble at this point was that I couldn’t remember which way we needed to turn onto my street.  And I couldn’t remember the name of the street either.   Which now that I think back on it, is the kind of information traveling students should tattoo on their palms before leaving the flat.  I’m not going to make excuses for myself.  

Well, we turned alright.  And we went down down down another street.  And after we had gone down just a little too far, I felt, and things were not looking as familiar as I would have liked them too, I saw a sight that made my heart leap for joy.  Hapодны!  The Narodny store, in all its respectable red grocery store glory, shining like a beacon in the night.  I asked the driver to stop, please, and got off.  But then.  Then I had a small knowing feeling inside.  Because as comforting as the sight of the Hapодны store was to me at that moment, I knew it was a false familiarity.  Where was the kolbasa store?  Where was the cross street?  I suddenly had my first very real application of the Narodny Principle in which I saw the flaw of my choice in landmarks.  The whole city of Bishkek is crawling with Narodny stores.  It’s the Walgreens of Kyrgyzstan, more or less.  More, probably. 

At this moment, for the record, I made some good decisions.  I checked for the street name on the side of the building.  Unfortunately, that didn’t help because I didn’t recognized the name.  Which wasn’t a good sign.  However, I also chose not to panic.  Because that doesn’t help and people can smell fear on you, making you an easy target if there do happen to be any sleazy characters around.  I’m learning a lot about projecting positive energy.  At that point I decided to take advantage of the light and safety offered by Narodny.  I called Mira Eje and we covered the basic facts in Russian.  I was lost.  I was on such and such street.  She covered that basic fact that I needed to get a taxi.  But there my Russian petered out.  

I looked around and engaged my intuition to find a good person to ask for help.  Behind me was this couple who looked friendly and in love in a fun way, the kind of way that makes you happy to help people so long as you get to do it together.  The girl had straight, short black hair in this cute flapper-like haircut.  So I asked her for help, and since it was a little difficult to explain, I ended up just handing her the phone and letting her and Mira Eje sort it out.  The girl got off the phone just laughing and laughing.  The guy was just smiling.  They called the taxi and then stood outside and waited with me.  They stood arm in arm just laughing and laughing.  I laughed too.  The taxi came and they made sure I was all settled before it drove away. It was about a 7-10 minute drive home and cost 110 som, which is about $2.50.  Worth the learning experience I think, and the entertainment provided to the couple at the store.  The taxi driver was a little, well, disdainful.  I don’t blame him really.  All I know is I learned a lot.  Since then I have walked up and down both streets and taken several more buses by day, arrived securely at both the post office and the central square on my own, and even braved the Vefa Center trip again at night, sticking with the appropriate bus this time and keeping my eyes peeled for the appropriate Hapoдны store, of which I will always have fond memories.   

No comments:

Post a Comment